Sunday, October 31, 2010

Side By Side

Side By Side
48 X 36
Oil On Canvas

As I am still pretty new in my career as an artist, the sale of a painting is an exciting moment.  This is especially true when it is a painting that has significant meaning to me.  Then, I want to know more about who bought it and why they like it.   My painting Goliad sold this past week.  It was sold by P's Gallery and we all were so very excited.   Paula Davis, owner of P's Gallery had my painting "4 Sided Triangles" ready to put up in the space.  That meant I needed to bring another painting to the Gallery.

"Side by Side" was recently finished and dry enough to varnish and hang.  When Paula saw it she put it up in place of Goliad in the the Gallery.  "Side By Side" is the result of my wanting to apply some of the same techniques I had been reading about in my study of Sean Scully.  The simplicity of the design and the layers of colors resulted in a painting that I am very happy with.  My normally compulsion is to cover every bit of the canvas and see no canvas or under-painting colors.  Sometimes that will distract me from what I am actually trying to accomplish.   I managed to keep my mind off that compulsion and accomplish what I wanted.  The painting went through three phases, each with a different group of colors.  Perhaps I was simply looking for the group that pleased me the most and held my eye on the paining.

No comments:

Post a Comment