Wednesday, March 03, 2010

More Than One Way to Do Things Over

It has been a long while since I last posted anything on this blog.  With all the various sites I try to get my art on, this one seems to be the most neglected.  It should not be so.  This is the only site that I comment extensively on about my art.

So I will say that it is time to do a little bit of catching up.
Another Turn
48" x 33"
Oil on Canvas

Another Turn is another painting that has its idea from a painting by John Karl Claes.  Claes' painting called "Main Canal Turn" and considerably larger.  The compsition was copied but the colors used are significantly different.  From the moment I first saw the painting by Claes, I was captivated by the dominant canal and the sky.  My effort included a very different sky.   
 


 3 X Over
(Three Times Over)
48" x 24"
Acrylic on Canvas

3 X Over is made with acrylic paints.  I do not paint with acrylic because I do not like the way it works compared to oils.  I'm frequently told by other artists that use acrylic paints exclusively that it is the only way to go.  Why? I ask.  Because they dry so much faster.  Exactly why I do not like them.  I'm not a slow painter but I'm not a fast one either.  So much of my paintings are created during the process of making them.  I need the time to work with the paintings for some time.  Acrylic will dry on my pallet before I've even finished with a color requiring me to remix the color several time.  Just not suited for me.

When I decided to do a painting using acrylic paints I was faced with the challenge of limiting the number of paints I would buy since it was an experiment for me and not and investment in materials.  The concept was first a vertical bar graph.  It did not end up that way as it turned into more of an abstract city skyline.  I painted this three times building upon each layer.

Maybe I'll try to do another painting in acrylic sometime but not sure how soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment